I offer this simple sequence of movement that is best to do before bed or upon waking up. Often times when I am making coffee in the morning, still in the haze of dreams, I find myself moving through this sequence subconsciously waking up my body and mind.
Find a chair or counter top that is about hip height. Be sure there is a fair amount of space beside it. The images below are various postures that are taken from the sequence. Feel free follow the video or fill in the transitions between each image.
10 STRETCHES TO DO DAILY
- LIFT THE ARMS UP BY THE EARS
- ROLL DOWN- LET THE HEAD BE HEAVY
- MAKE FISTS AND FLEX AT THE WRISTS
- LIFT THE ARMS UP, GRAB THE OPPOSITE ELBOW, PULL THE ELBOWS UP
- INTERLACE THE FINGERS BEHIND THE BACK. EXTEND THE ELBOWS. LIFT THE CHIN AND THE CHEST. SQUEEZE THE SHOULDER BLADES TOGETHER.
- STRETCH TO BOTH SIDES
- BRING THE HEEL TOWARD THE HIP WHILE BALANCING ON THE OPPOSITE LEG. STRETCH THE FRONT OF THE THIGH
- WAKE UP THE FEET. POINT AND FLEX THE FOOT. CIRCLE AT THE ANKLE JOINT. FIND BALANCE ON THE BALLS OF THE FEET
- PUSHING THE PALMS DOWN ON THE TOP OF A SURFACE. STEP THE FEET BACK. ARMS FULLY EXTENDED AND FEET UNDER THE HIPS. DROP THE HEAD BETWEEN THE ARMS. FEEL THE SPINE LENGTHEN
- FIGURE FOUR HIP STRETCH. CROSS THE ANKLE OVER THE OPPOSITE THIGH. BEND AT THE HIPS, KNEE, AND ANKLE.